Remember the Furrari, a velvet-wrapped 599 GTB? Well, Smart’s fabric roof covering for the 2016 ForTwo Coupe reminds us of that. In an attempt to blur the line between a coupe and a cabrio, the city car retains the coupe’s solid roof, but on top of that there’s now a black fabric covering which comes as standard with the new model year. You can also have it on the Brabus and Brabus Xclusive versions as a no-cost option, but you’ll obviously lose the standard panoramic roof that comes with those two models.
Besides this rather peculiar change, the 2016MY also comes with other revisions. For example, the LED & Sensor package priced at €550 in Germany will include from now on front fog lamps with cornering light. In addition, the ForTwo Cabrio’s soft top is available in light beige and brown for €996 each, thus increasing the total number of hues available for the roof to five.
As standard, the 2016 Smart lineup is getting the new i-Size child seat fastener while the ForFour features an optional metallic cadmium red finish for the radiator trim. The latter costs an additional €60 for the passion and prime lines and is available as a no-cost option on the aforementioned Brabus and Brabus Xclusive.
Lastly, Smart is changing the name of the Sports package to Sleek Style without making any modifications to the content. That means it bundles the same 16-inch black wheels with 8-Y-spoke design, sports suspension which lowers the car by 10 mm, chrome tips for the exhaust, sportier three-spoke steering wheel, brushed stainless steel pedals, all for the same price of €650.
Smart is opening the order books for the 2016MY lineup today and promises the first cars will hit dealers in September.
At dealers from September: smart fortwo coupé with a unique soft top look
Böblingen. A coupé or a cabrio? A soft top or a solid roof? smart blurs the borders: the smart fortwo coupé now has a unique solid roof with a black fabric covering as standard. This roof with the special look will be introduced together with further changes in model year 2016. Front fog lamps with cornering light are a further new feature. Sales start on 22 July and the first models will reach dealers in September.
The new solid roof with a fabric covering is a standard feature for the smart fortwo coupé. For the proxy line, BRABUS and BRABUS Xclusive it is available as a no-cost option instead of the standard panoramic roof with sun protection.
Here are the other most important new features of the model year:
- In future the LED & Sensor package (€550) will include front fog lamps with cornering light. These illuminate the direction of the bend when cornering, thus increasing driving safety.
- The fabric soft top for the smart fortwo cabrio is now also available in light beige and brown. This means that a total of five colours are available. The two new colours are offered in the BRABUS tailor made individualisation programme at a price of €996.
- All smart models come with the new i-Size child seat fastener as a standard feature. This applies to the passenger seat in the smart fortwo coupé and smart fortwo cabrio and the rear seats of the smart forfour. The i-Size child seat attachment system is a further development of the ISOFIX system. For the best possible protection of the child in the event of an accident, with the i-Size system the child seat latches into two anchorage points between the seat cushions and the backrest.
- For the smart forfour cadmium red is available as a new metallic colour for the radiator trim, which means that the smart forfour is available in a single colour (body, tridion safety cell and radiator trim). The additional charge is €60 for the passion and prime lines. For proxy, BRABUS and BRABUS Xclusive the radiator trim is available in cadmium red as a no-cost option.
- In future the Sports package will be called the Sleek Style package. There are no changes to the scope of equipment (16-inch alloy wheels in an 8-Y-spoke design painted in black, sports suspension lowered by 10 millimetres, exhaust system with chrome-plated tailpipe trim, multifunction sports steering wheel in a 3-spoke design in leather, sports pedals in brushed stainless steel with rubber studs) or the price (€650). The reason for the changed name is to distinguish this package more clearly from the BRABUS Sports package.