The all-new BMW iX, in the entry-level xDrive40 version, equipped with Pirelli PZero Elect 255/50 R21 109/Y tyres, performed relatively well in the "moose test."
According to the test performed by km77.com, the car was able to successfully complete the test at a maximum initial speed of 46 mph.
- initial part: 46 mph
- middle part: 39 mph
- final part: 27 mph
The regenerative braking was set at a normal/medium level.
In general, with stronger regenerative braking the car starts to reduce the speed quicker (when removing foot from the accelerator), which makes it easier to complete the test, compared to a low regenerative braking setting.
Various tries at higher speeds failed, but considering the weight (2,530 kg, according to the video) and size of the BMW iX, it's not a bad result.
For reference, the 2016 Tesla Model X was able to achieve 44 mph. Some Audi models performed better: 2019 Audi e-tron at 48 mph and 2020 Audi e-tron Sportback at 47 mph.
We assume that the BMW iX xDrive50 might achieve a slightly lower maximum initial speed due to a bigger and heavier battery - 111.5 kWh battery (105.2 kWh net usable), compared to 76.6 kWh battery (71.0 kWh net usable) in the xDrive40.
It's worth noting that the BMW iX xDrive50 recently passed a real-world moose test when during a long-distance test, Bjørn Nyland avoided a moose at highway speed. It was possible due to the driver who reacted very quickly, despite driving for many hours and some 528 miles, and at night.
Additionally, here is a slalom test:
Previous results of the km77.com's moose test for reference (initial speed):
- 2019 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD - 52 mph
- 2021 Tesla Model Y LR AWD - 52 mph
- 2021 Hyundai Ioniq 5 (RWD, 72.6 kWh) - 51 mph
- 2018 BMW i3s - 49 mph
- 2021 Kia EV6 (RWD, 77.4 kWh) - 48 mph
- 2020 Porsche Taycan Turbo S - 48 mph
- 2021 Porsche Taycan Turbo S Cross Turismo - 48 mph
- 2019 Audi e-tron - 48 mph
- 2021 Dacia Spring - 48 mph
- 2020 MINI Cooper SE - 48 mph
- 2020 Renault Twingo Z.E. - 48 mph
- 2020 Peugeot e-208 - 47 mph
- 2021 Audi e-tron GT - 47 mph
- 2020 Audi e-tron Sportback - 47 mph
- 2021 Fiat 500 electric - 47 mph
- 2020 Honda e - 47 mph
- 2020 Opel Corsa-e - 47 mph
- 2022 BMW iX xDrive40 - 46 mph
- 2021 Citroën ë-C4 - 46 mph
- 2018 Hyundai Kona Electric - 46 mph
- 2020 Mazda MX-30 - 46 mph
- 2018 Jaguar I-PACE - 45 mph
- 2021 Volkswagen ID.4 - 45 mph
- 2022 Mercedes-Benz EQS - 45 mph
- 2020 Jeep Renegade 4xe - 44 mph
- 2019 SEAT Mii Electric - 44 mph
- 2016 Tesla Model X - 44 mph
- 2019 Ford Kuga PHEV (Ford Escape PHEV in the U.S.) - 42 mph
- 2019 Kia Soul EV (e-Soul) - 42 mph
- 2021 Skoda Enyaq iV - 42 mph