A few days ago, the Unplugged Performance's race-modified Tesla Model S Plaid "Dark Helmet", driven by Randy Pobst, clocked 1:28.213 at the Laguna Seca race track - here is the video from this record run.
According to the updated official FastestLaps' list, the race-modified Tesla Model S Plaid ranked 7th overall.
- Acura ARX-01b (unknown driver) - 1:10.10
- Porsche RS Spyder (Evo) (unknown driver) 1:10.35
- Acura ARX-01a (unknown driver) 1:10.91
- Audi R10 TDI (unknown driver) 1:11.17
- Porsche RS Spyder (unknown driver) 1:14.03
- McLaren Senna (P15) (Randy Pobst) 1:27.62
- Unplugged Performance Model S Plaid (Randy Pobst) 1:28.20
- Porsche 911 GT2 RS (991) (Randy Pobst) 1:28.30
- Dodge Viper ACR (Mk V) (Randy Pobst) 1:28.65
For reference, the top Tesla Model 3 Performance on the list is in 95th spot at 1:39.83, but we know that the Mountain Pass Performance's Model 3 clocked 1:37.566 record in July 2019:
Unplugged Performance says that the "Dark Helmet" car weight with the driver is 4,850 lbs (2,200 kg) and its top speed was 156 mph (251 km/h).
"Coming off of the car's Pikes Peak class win the Unplugged Performance’s Tesla Model S Plaid aka Dark Helmet clocked a 1:28.21 lap during TeslaCorsa 16 at Weathertech Raceway Laguna Seca. Randy Pobst was behind the wheel piloting the modified 4850lb (with driver) family sedan to an EV modified lap record which saw a top speed of 156mph. What is perhaps most incredible is that the Hypercar level lap time was achieved with no gas, 4 doors, 2 trunks & Autopilot using a modified mass production vehicle at a fraction of the cost of any comparably fast car."
The list of "Dark Helmet" mods include:
- UP x @BILSTEIN Semi-Active Skyhook Dampers
- UP Billet Adjustable Front Upper Control Arms
- UP Billet Adjustable Rear Camber Arms
- UP 3 Way Adjustable Rear Stabilizer Bar
- UP 19” UP-03 Forged Wheels with @Yokohama Tire
- UP Plaid Spec Carbon Bucket Seat Kit
- UP Brake Master Cylinder Brace
- UP one-off aero
- UP race prep including roll cage, air jacks, brake ducting, Pikes Peak PA system, etc
A month earlier, the car has won the Exhibition class of the 2021 Pikes Peak International Hill Climb race (see video).
Tesla Model S Plaid specs:
- up to 390 miles (628 km) of EPA est. range
- battery capacity: N/A
- 0-60 mph (96.5 km/h) in 1.99 seconds (*with rollout subtracted)
0-100 km/h (62 mph) in 2.1 seconds (*with rollout subtracted)
MotorTrend's 0-60 mph (asphalt, no rollout): 2.28 seconds; 2.3 seconds according to ICSI
- 1/4 mile 9.23 seconds at 155 mph trap speed according to Tesla
Jay Leno's 1/4 mile record of 9.247 seconds at 152.16 mph trap speed
DragTimes' run: 9.248 seconds at 151.83 mph
record time of 9.081 seconds at 154.10 mph trap speed with removed interior pieces - July 24, 2021 at the World Wide Technology Raceway in St. Louis
- top speed of 200 mph (322 km/h) †when equipped with the proper wheels and tires (available fall 2021)
- three-motor all-wheel drive (one motor in the front and two motors in the rear)
- system output: 1,020 hp (about 760 kW)
- DC fast charging: at up to 250 kW (Superchargers)
can replenish 187 miles (301 km) in 15 minutes
- Drag Coefficient 0.208 Cd
- Wheels 19" or 21"
- Cargo 28 cu ft
- Weight 4,766 lbs (2,162 kg)