[UPDATE] Video embedded above removed from YouTube. - Here we can take a look at a street race of a Tesla Model S Plaid against two 900 bhp Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcats from a rolling start at about 40 mph (64 km/h) or so.
It's an impressive demonstration of EV performance, as the Plaid notes strong acceleration not only from 0 mph or low-speeds but also at high speeds, which backs Tesla's drive units power curve.
Situation Plaid reports also that there is no noticeable drop of power output between fully charged and lower levels, up to 56% SOC:
"Tesla Model S Plaid Takes On 900 hp hellcats. And Ferrari F430 owner was too scared to race. The plaid did amazing roll racing. Back to back hits all night and still went home n 56% battery. Car doesn’t slow down with charge rate at least above 50 from my experience. Not power cutting like the p100d or anything. I will say the speed limiter at 163 is quite annoying as this thing just wants to keep rolling."
The car is still limited to 163 mph (262 km/h), but from Fall it's expected to be allowed to go a full 200 mph (322 km/h).
As the performance goes up, we are afraid that this type of street race becomes more and more dangerous. Hopefully, we will see more racing on proper tracks or at least closed roads.
Tesla Model S Plaid specs
- up to 390 miles (628 km) of EPA est. range
- battery capacity: N/A
- 0-60 mph (96.5 km/h) in 1.99 seconds (*with rollout subtracted)
0-100 km/h (62 mph) in 2.1 seconds (*with rollout subtracted)
MotorTrend's 0-60 mph (asphalt, no rollout): 2.28 seconds; 2.3 seconds according to ICSI
- 1/4 mile 9.23 seconds at 155 mph trap speed
Jay Leno's 1/4 mile record of 9.247 seconds at 152.16 mph trap speed
- top speed of 200 mph (322 km/h) †when equipped with the proper wheels and tires (available fall 2021)
- three-motor all-wheel drive (one motor in the front and two motors in the rear)
- system output: 1,020 bhp (about 760 kW)
- DC fast charging: at up to 250 kW (Superchargers)
can replenish 187 miles (301 km) in 15 minutes
- Drag Coefficient 0.208 Cd
- Wheels 19" or 21"
- Cargo 28 cu ft
- Weight 4,766 lbs (2,162 kg)