The ID.4 has been produced in Zwickau, Germany, since August 20 alongside the ID.3. Currently, only the rear-wheel-drive version is produced (the dual-motor all-wheel-drive version will follow later).
The entire plant has been switched from production of 100% conventional cars to 100% electric cars. Besides the ID.3 and ID.4, four more models will be produced at the site.
The ID.4 seems to be the most important, mass-market electric car from Volkswagen, as it's envisioned for high-volume and production in five different places on three continents:
- Zwickau, Germany - since August 20, 2020
- Emden, Germany - from 2022
- Chattanooga, Tennessee, U.S. - from 2022
- SAIC Volkswagen joint venture in Anting, China
- FAW-Volkswagen joint venture in Foshan, China
There might be slight differences between the versions in particular markets, but all of them are built on the Volkswagen MEB platform.
More about Volkswagen ID.4:
Don't forget to check our new Volkswagen ID.4 mega gallery: