Ali Kassaï Koupaï, Executive Vice President, Product Planning and Programs at Renault revealed to Autocar that the idea to make a sporty EV has been under consideration for a long time.
The two-seat ZOE e-Sport Concept was equipped with two 170 kW electric motors and was insanely quick - 0-62 mph in 3.2 seconds.
- 40 kWh battery
- 0-62 mph in 3.2 seconds
- 130 mph is reached in under 10 seconds
- all-wheel drive
- Twin electric motors provide 340 kW (nearly 460 bhp) and torque of 472 lb-ft
- Weight is just 1,400 kg, including the 450-kg battery
Ali Kassaï Koupaï said:
“Society is changing so fast. We need to find a way to make passion of performance cars socially acceptable. I believe Renault is best placed to find that way because of our history as a leader in EVs and one of the historic players in performance cars.”
The potential RS version of the ZOE (or another model) should appear on the market in the near-term as Renault would like to stay at the forefront.
Currently, the ZOE is equipped with an 80 kW electric motor and does 0 to 62 mph in less than 10 seconds.
“It has to be short, because we were the leader in EVs, so we need to keep up the pace. I hope in three years.”
The RS version of conventional ICE cars will be continued as well.
Gallery: 2019 Renault ZOE
Renault ZOE R135 specs (see full description here):
- 52 kWh lithium-ion battery (air-cooled)
- Battery pack: 400 V nominal, 192 cells, 10 modules, 326 kg of weight, 160 Wh/kg
- up to 242 miles of WLTP range
- 0 to 62 mph in less than 10 seconds
- 50 to 75 mph in 7.1 seconds
- top speed of 87 mph
- R135 electric motor: 100 kW of peak power and 181 lb-ft of peak torque
- R110 electric motor (option): 80 kW of peak power and 166 lb-ft of peak torque
- DC fast charging using CCS Combo 2, up to 50 kW
- AC charging of up to 22 kW (3-phase)